|Join us at the mouth of Mitchell Creek for our next fish sampling event! Volunteers will be collecting near-shore fish samples as part of the Great Lakes Naturalist Initiative to identify our fish community and search for potential new non-native fish species before they become invasive.
We will supply all of the required tools and training to properly collect and identify fish species in Grand Traverse Bay. Your collection efforts will support real science efforts to better understand the fish species of the bay, help prevent new species invasions, and support national and international data collection!
What will volunteers be doing:
- Handling the seine net in the water to collect fish
- Measuring and photographing a portion of collected fish
- Proper taxonomic identification of fish species (we will provide training)
What should I bring?
- Waders or a bathing suit! If you’d prefer not to get wet, we always need help on shore in identifying, photographing, and cataloging fish species
- Bring a reusable water bottle and a snack
- Sunscreen and bug spray
We will be accessing the Bay via the Traverse City State Park campground - make sure you have your State Park pass on your license plate!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us! If you have any questions, please contact Jon Throop at JThroop@GTRLC.org or 231-922-1259